App helps doctors estimate heart disease, stroke risk
A new app from the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association will make it easier for healthcare providers to estimate patients’ risk of heart attack and stroke and guide their treatment accordingly.
The app, called the ASCVD Risk Estimator, uses a wide variety of health information to estimate 10-year and lifetime risk. It can also help health professionals recommend appropriate lifestyle changes and treatments if necessary.
The app is based on ACC/AHA’s scientific guideline on assessing cardiovascular risk, published in November 2013.
The app can be downloaded free from the iTunes and Google Play app stores. The Web version is available on CardioSource.org and on myamericanheart.org.
This app is designed for use by healthcare providers.
For more information:
Stories available for linking, quoting, excerpting, reprinting
Stories appearing on blog.heart.org under the "By American Heart Association News" byline are available for linking, quoting, excerpting and reprinting. Copyright is owned or held by the American Heart Association, Inc., and all rights are reserved. Permission is granted, at no cost and without need for further request, to link to, quote, excerpt or reprint from these stories in any medium as long as no text is altered and proper attribution is made to the American Heart Association. Additional conditions may apply to the use of these stories in printed materials.
American Heart Association additional conditions for linking, quoting, excerpting, reprinting stories in print media
- A credit line of American Heart Association News must be prominently placed on the page in which the American Heart Association materials appear.
- The American Heart Association logo and service marks may only be used if they appear on the materials requested.
- Stories reprinted may be edited for length, but no other deletions, alterations or other changes may be made without the prior written consent of the American Heart Association.
- Artwork labeled "American Heart Association" may be reprinted, but other artwork may not. For artwork permission questions, contact email@example.com
- Stories reprinted may not be placed adjacent to any advertisement, photo, graphic or other content that could be considered inappropriate by the American Heart Association. For questions about whether content is inappropriate, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stories may not be displayed in any way that gives the appearance that the American Heart Association endorses (implied or otherwise) or is affiliated with any product, service or company.